DeadGoblins.com » Treasures of Varinia » Chapter 1: Gainful Employment

Chapter 1: Gainful Employment

Page: < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... > »

Author Post
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
Alfred readjusts the books under his shoulders as he accepts the guardian ring and residuum. "That's very, err, thoughtful. These rings could be useful if we encounter a mob or something. I suppose we should prepare our things and rest."

OOC: Alfred had only 1 gp left after character creation, so now has 101. Is there anything the group thinks we might need? We could even pool our resources if someone has a good idea. Otherwise, it may wise to each buy a healing potion at the very least.

User posted image

  •  Alfred Sartanius
    • Male Human Wizard, Level 1
    • Passive Perception: 11, Passive Insight: 16
    • AC: 14 Fort: 14 Reflex: 15 Will: 14 Speed: 6, Initiative: +0
    • HP: 26, Bloodied: 13, Surge Value: 6, Surges: 9
    • Powers
    • Ghost Sound, Light, Mage Hand, Prestidigitation
    • Phantom Bolt
    • Thunderwave
    • Storm Pillar
    • Grasping Shadows
    • Summon Fire Warrior
    • Dailys and Utilities stored in Spellbook
    • Grease
    • Items
    • Tome of Binding (encounter/free) +3 damage for summonings that turn
    • Ceramic Hand Focus used to control Unseen Servants
    • Guardian Ring: given by the Headmaster
    • Rituals
    • Comprehend Language
    • Create Campsite
    • Unseen Servant
    • Residuum: 45 gp + 30 from the headmaster
    • Skills
    • Arcana, Religion: 9
    • Nature: 8
    • Dungeoneering, Insight: 6
    • History: 4
    • Endurance: 3
    • Heal, Perception: 1
    • Acrobatics, Bluff, Diplomacy, Intimidate, Stealth, Streetwise, Thievery: 0
    • Athletics: -1
    • (Key: At-Will, Encounter, Daily, Magical Equipment, Consumable, Used)
        • _______________
          Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 4627
Laz concentrates hard as he tries not to burn the Professor's hand as he grabs the ring. "Sir, thank you. I'll be back back in the morning."

OOC: I just realized that the crossbow is sort of pointless (Laz already has a basic ranged attack at-will). So, he'll get rid of that for the gold (26 GP) and buy a healing potion.
_______________
Mal Geminous - Tiefling Warlord, Scales of War
Corydimbiddle - Gnome Artificer, Points of Light
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2009
Posts: 3164
Gharnash squeezes the ring onto his thick finger, jingles the gold into his purse, and stares at the residuum questioningly.

OOC: Gharnash is not a ritual caster, so if someone else wants his residuum, feel free. He will also purchase a healing potion with his gold.
_______________
Dungeon Master - The Dark Campaign
Sir Muurak - Mul Cavalier 14, Scales of War
Demuriath - Revenant Assassin 5, Points of Light
Kurvilis - Gnome Mage 4, Eberron
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
Alfred finally manages to juggle all his books while putting on the guardian ring. He then reaches for the residuum, wondering if he should maybe put down his books first. "I think I know just the ritual or three to for which that residuum will come in handy."

OOC: If it's okay with the group, Alfred will take/hold on to all the residuum. He can use it to cast rituals (comprehend language, create campsite, unseen servant).
_______________
Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)
Administrator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 2639
Location: Santa Ana, CA
OOC: It's all for the group, and you should keep it safe - there'll be ritual scrolls in your (far) futures =)
_______________
Hedoni Midartis - Eladrin Wizard, Scales of War
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2009
Posts: 3164
Gharnash purchases a potion that is said to have healing powers, which he thinks could definitely come in handy for this group. Now for a glass of ale and a good night's sleep.

OOC: Gharnash is ready to move out.
_______________
Dungeon Master - The Dark Campaign
Sir Muurak - Mul Cavalier 14, Scales of War
Demuriath - Revenant Assassin 5, Points of Light
Kurvilis - Gnome Mage 4, Eberron
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
"Ahem, well then, until tomorrow it seems"

OOC: I've added the 30 residuum to my inventory in the stat block. I'll keep track of it. With the residuum Alfred already had, we have 75 gp worth. Alfred will also purchase a healing potion for 50 gp. He may buy something else too, but I don't have time to look now.

User posted image

  •  Alfred Sartanius
    • Male Human Wizard, Level 1
    • Passive Perception: 11, Passive Insight: 16
    • AC: 14 Fort: 14 Reflex: 15 Will: 14 Speed: 6, Initiative: +0
    • HP: 26, Bloodied: 13, Surge Value: 6, Surges: 9
    • Powers
    • Ghost Sound, Light, Mage Hand, Prestidigitation
    • Phantom Bolt
    • Thunderwave
    • Storm Pillar
    • Grasping Shadows
    • Summon Fire Warrior
    • Dailys and Utilities stored in Spellbook
    • Grease
    • Items
    • Tome of Binding (encounter/free) +3 damage for summonings that turn
    • Ceramic Hand Focus used to control Unseen Servants
    • Guardian Ring: given by the Headmaster
    • Rituals
    • Comprehend Language
    • Create Campsite
    • Unseen Servant
    • Residuum: 45 gp + 30 from the headmaster
    • Healing Potion
    • Gold in pocket: 51
    • Skills
    • Arcana, Religion: 9
    • Nature: 8
    • Dungeoneering, Insight: 6
    • History: 4
    • Endurance: 3
    • Heal, Perception: 1
    • Acrobatics, Bluff, Diplomacy, Intimidate, Stealth, Streetwise, Thievery: 0
    • Athletics: -1
    • (Key: At-Will, Encounter, Daily, Magical Equipment, Consumable, Used)
        • _______________
          Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)
          « Last edit by Viktor on Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:41 pm. »
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2009
Posts: 3164
OOC: Mike, was it 30 gp of residuum for the group or per person?
_______________
Dungeon Master - The Dark Campaign
Sir Muurak - Mul Cavalier 14, Scales of War
Demuriath - Revenant Assassin 5, Points of Light
Kurvilis - Gnome Mage 4, Eberron
Administrator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 2639
Location: Santa Ana, CA
OOC: I should have been clearer - it's 30 for the group.
_______________
Hedoni Midartis - Eladrin Wizard, Scales of War
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 5084
Location: Los Angeles, CA
If Curator 143-Theta had a nose, you'd swear he'd just sniffed indignantly.

"You aren't the only one who knows a thing or two about rituals, apprentice," the warforged says to Alfred. "I could craft or brew a thing or two myself, as needed."

After the gathering disperses, the artificer goes to the school store and purchases a healing potion for himself. It seems he hasn't mastered the full art as yet. He returns the next morning, ready to embark after an evening of reviewing many of his favorites of the items already returned to the school.

OOC: In other words, don't forget Curator 143-Theta starts with his own rituals - Brew Potion, Disenchant Magic Item, Enchant Magic Item, and Make Whole. :) Of course, I can only make/brew items my level or less, so I can't actually brew a healing potion. :p
_______________
Salazar Miller - Human Sorcerer 24 - Scales of War
Azad Halim al'Zahir - Tiefling Battlemind|Paladin 7 - Points of Light
Khavak'aashta - Half-Orc Thief 5 - Eberron
Dwimmerlaik - Revenant Hexblade 2 - Dark Campaign
« Last edit by Gary on Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:29 am. »
Administrator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 2639
Location: Santa Ana, CA
You arrive at Artimus' office at sunrise, and he leads you down several flights of stairs to the school's teleportation circle.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic


With a nod from Artimus, the mage in charge moves a few runes and chants a few incantation, and a hazy image of the city of Rivervale appears in the circle.

"The people of Rivervale likely won't know much more than we do - Twinmarsh is a fairly small town three days west on foot. But it never hurts to ask. Make your way west, learn what you can, and if there's a magic item to be found, recover it. Return to the circle in Rivervale and show your signet rings, and their mage will take you right back here. Best of luck!"

You step through the circle and find yourself in Rivervale's temple of Avandra. Outside the temple is the city square, as busy and active as that of Occident, but a continent away.

OOC: Rivervale is a large city, with a number of inns, taverns, shops, etc. It's mid-morning here, and unless you secure transportation, Twinmarsh is a 3 day (2 night) hike on foot.
_______________
Hedoni Midartis - Eladrin Wizard, Scales of War
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
"That was...simply astounding! I am already eager to use the portal again on our return." says Alfred wonderingly. The rest of you are surprised that he's not holding several books in his arms since you would have wagered a fair amount that he'd bring a small library along. "Well then, I think we'd better organize a carriage to Twinmarsh. The faster we get there and recover this artifact, ahem, the sooner I can get back and finish the Treatise on Primordial Divinity I began reading last night."

OOC: I vote for carriage. Renting horses would be okay too, although Alfred can't ride to save his life. We could also ask around Rivervale regarding what news they hear from Twinmarsh first.
_______________
Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 4627
Laz is glowing with supernatural light, in his halfling form. It doesn't seem to have changed his mood much, as his eyes keep still look panicked. "I agree with Alfred. Let's get this done as fast and easy as we can."

Laz Resist (1d10=9)

Resist Radiant 5, Ignore 5 Radiant Resist


  •  Laz
    • Male Changeling Sorceror 1
    • Passive Perception: 9, Passive Insight: 11
    • AC:14, Fort:11, Reflex:14, Will:17 - Speed:6
    • HP:24/24, Bloodied:12, Surge Value:6, Surges left:7/7
    • Action Points: 1, Second Wind: not used, Resist Radiant 5
    •  
      • Powers
        • Changeling Disguise (Shapeshift, +5 to Bluff vs. Insight)
        • Chaos Bolt (R10; Will; Hit: d10; if even, att within 5, 1d6)
        • Dragonfrost (R10; Fort; Hit: d8, push 1 sq)
        • Changeling Trick (M1; Bluff vs. passive Insight, gain CA)
        • Bedeviling Burst (Cb3 (1 or 2); Will; 1 or 2; Hit: d10, push 4; if even, slide
        • Chromatic Orb (R10; Ref; Hit: 3d10, d6 for effect; Miss: d10, d6 for effect
          • 1: Radiant, dazed (save ends); 2: Fire, adj. to target takes 4 fire
          • 3: Poison, 5 OGD poison (save ends); 4: Lightning, slide 4
          • 5: Cold, immobile (save ends); 6: Psychic, -2 AC (save ends)
         
      • Items
        • Dagger (Implement)
        • Quarterstaff (Implement)
        • Healing Potion
        • Sunrods x2
        • Hempen Rope (50 feet)
         
      • Abilities
        • Basic Melee +4 (+3 Prof, +1 Exp)
        • Basic Range +5 vs. Fort (+4 Cha, +1 Exp)
        • Chaos Burst 1st att. roll: +1 AC if even; save if odd
        • Chaos Power +4 damage
        • Unfettered Power 20: slide 1 & prone; 1: Push all 1
        • Wild Soul Roll d10 for resist & avoidance of resist
          • 1: Acid; 2: Cold; 3: Fire; 4: Force; 5 Lightning
          • 6: Necrotic; 7: Poison; 8: Psychic; 9: Radiant; 10: Thunder
         
      • Skills
        • Acrobatics +9 (+4 Dex, +5 trained)
        • Arcana +6 (+1 Int, +5 trained)
        • Athletics +0 (+0 Str)
        • Bluff +11 (+4 Cha, +5 trained, +2 race)
        • Diplomacy +4 (+4 Cha)
        • Dungeoneering -1 (-1 Wis)
        • Endurance +6 (+1 Con, +5 trained)
        • Heal -1 (-1 Wis)
        • History +1 (+1 Int)
        • Insight +1 (-1 Wis, +2 race)
        • Intimidate +4 (+4 Cha)
        • Nature -1 (-1 Wis)
        • Perception -1 (-1 Wis)
        • Religion +1 (+1 Int)
        • Stealth +4 (+4 Dex)
        • Streetwise +4 (+4 Cha)
        • Thievery +4 (+4 Dex)
_______________
Mal Geminous - Tiefling Warlord, Scales of War
Corydimbiddle - Gnome Artificer, Points of Light
Moderator
Registered: Jul 2008
Posts: 5245
Nice portal pic Mike. Where'd you get it?
_______________
Dungeon Master - Scales of War
Edeya - Githzerai Seeker - Points of Light
Administrator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 2639
Location: Santa Ana, CA
OCC: It's the Stargage: Universe stargate. Took a while to find a good one that didn't have Richard Dean Anderson in the pic, or was outdoors.
_______________
Hedoni Midartis - Eladrin Wizard, Scales of War
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
Michael Doss wrote
OCC: It's the Stargage: Universe stargate. Took a while to find a good one that didn't have Richard Dean Anderson in the pic, or was outdoors.


OOC: I recognized it from the previews, but haven't seen the new series yet. Looking forward to it.
_______________
Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 5084
Location: Los Angeles, CA
"I am prepared to walk straight to our goal without stopping," Curator 143-Theta says, "but it would be quicker if we arranged a carriage, and speed may be of the essence."
_______________
Salazar Miller - Human Sorcerer 24 - Scales of War
Azad Halim al'Zahir - Tiefling Battlemind|Paladin 7 - Points of Light
Khavak'aashta - Half-Orc Thief 5 - Eberron
Dwimmerlaik - Revenant Hexblade 2 - Dark Campaign
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2009
Posts: 3164
"A little walking never hurt anyone, but if a carriage will get us to our goal faster, then by all means, let us do so."

As they head into the square, Gharnash tries to gage where to get the best deal on a carriage or other means of transportation. streetwise check in square (1d20+4+1=22)
_______________
Dungeon Master - The Dark Campaign
Sir Muurak - Mul Cavalier 14, Scales of War
Demuriath - Revenant Assassin 5, Points of Light
Kurvilis - Gnome Mage 4, Eberron
Administrator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 2639
Location: Santa Ana, CA
Gharnash recognizes that the city's teleportation circle is always near other means of transportation, especially in a large city with a lot of travelers. The local carriage house offers standard private transport at fair prices for the 90 mile trip to Twinmarsh:

- Horse, carriage and driver, 60 miles/day: 10gp per traveler per day
- Flying carriage, 100 miles/day: 60gp per traveler per day

The proprietor informs you that both means are available in Rivervale, but transportation options in Twinmarsh are limited to whatever happens to be passing through.

Are there established transportation prices in any guides? I couldn't find them.
_______________
Hedoni Midartis - Eladrin Wizard, Scales of War
« Last edit by Michael Doss on Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:20 pm. »
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 7786
Alfred arches one eyebrow at Curator's claim it can walk all the way. "Uhmm, yes well, a carriage would be more comfortable as well as faster. And, err, if it rains then there's no risk of anything, uhm, any-any of our....parts getting rusty." he finishes, silently wondering how 143 maintains itself. The wizard takes out a notebook and plume, preparing to document all his observations on his companions during this trip.

He turns to the dragonborn, seeing him take the lead. "Gharnash, you seem to feel comfortable in this sort of, err, filthy urban environment. We'll let you decide our transportation for us."
_______________
Ravenblade - Dwarf Two-Weapon Ranger, Hammer of Moradin (Scales of War)
« Last edit by Viktor on Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:09 pm. »
Moderator
Registered: Oct 2008
Posts: 4627
OOC: Ebberron Campaign Setting has some numbers:

Caravan: 1 sp/mi, speed 4, 20 mi/day, 2 mph

Coach (probably closest to what you are looking for): 1 sp/mi, 20 GP/day for chartered coach, speed 10, 50 mi/day, 5 mph
_______________
Mal Geminous - Tiefling Warlord, Scales of War
Corydimbiddle - Gnome Artificer, Points of Light
Administrator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 2639
Location: Santa Ana, CA
Cool. I'll edit and reduce the price to 10GP per person for the regular carriage. Fair for the amount of gear you have and the slightly faster speed =) Flying coach stays the same price.
_______________
Hedoni Midartis - Eladrin Wizard, Scales of War
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2009
Posts: 3164
Gharnash approaches the proprietor of the carriage house. "Don't you know who we are? If word gets out that you gave transport to the Four Amigos, your business will double! Surely that is worth a little price reduction." bluff vs. carriage dude (1d20+9+1=15)
_______________
Dungeon Master - The Dark Campaign
Sir Muurak - Mul Cavalier 14, Scales of War
Demuriath - Revenant Assassin 5, Points of Light
Kurvilis - Gnome Mage 4, Eberron
Administrator
Registered: Jun 2008
Posts: 2639
Location: Santa Ana, CA
The proprietor looks the Dragonborn up and down, and with some amusement in his voice, says ""If I gave discounts to every rag-tag group of group of travelers coming through here, I wouldn't have the funds to keep that damn team of hippogriffs around. You're not gonna find a better deal anywhere."
_______________
Hedoni Midartis - Eladrin Wizard, Scales of War
Moderator
Registered: Jun 2009
Posts: 3164
OOC: 20gp per person for the trip there, it looks like, as it will take 2 days by carriage at 10 per day. Gharnash has that available.
_______________
Dungeon Master - The Dark Campaign
Sir Muurak - Mul Cavalier 14, Scales of War
Demuriath - Revenant Assassin 5, Points of Light
Kurvilis - Gnome Mage 4, Eberron
« Last edit by Jonathan Berg on Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:36 pm. »

Page: < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... > »

DeadGoblins.com » Treasures of Varinia » Chapter 1: Gainful Employment

DeadGoblins.com is powered by UseBB 1 Forum Software